Tag Archives: hat

Prototype: Mushroom Hat

My general design set-up works as follows:  I sit down with some yarn and a hook and decide I’m going to make something.  Sometimes it’s a purse.  Sometimes it’s a shawl.  Sometimes it’s a hat.  When I do this, I wing it.  I used patterns early on to figure out how to make things, but once I figure out the basics of how to make something, I usually throw patterns to the wind and throw myself headlong into whatever project I’m making.  There’s a lot you can learn from a good pattern, but I learn really well by screwing up and back tracking, so that’s my general way of doing things.

The Mushroom Hat is one of those projects. I had an I-hook, some red heart acrylic, and I wanted to make a slouchy little hat that I could tuck my hair into (as we’re offically in the season of 95 in the shade on a cool day).  Thus, this:

Mushroom Hat -- Side View

Mushroom Hat -- Side View

Super cute, right?  Of course it is!  I worked from the top down, and I made the hat in a spiral (meaning no turns at the ends of rounds), and I alternated between half-double and double-crochet stitches.  I think the basic shape of it is really good.  I can get my hair into it, and it has a place to stay.  The brim is a bit wider than I had intended, but that’s an easy fix if I make the hat again.  I like the little shell stitches on the final round, but I’m very partial to shell stitches anyway.  A couple of more shots:

Mushroom Hat -- Back View

Mushroom Hat -- Back View

It’s interesting to me that from the back, the hat looks a little floppier than it actually is.  Red Heart acrylic is not a soft yarn when you first use it, so it tends to keep its shape pretty stoutly.  If I wash this hat, I know it’ll soften up a bit and probably be about as malleable as it looks in this picture, but for now, it’s a pretty structured hat.

Mushroom Hat -- Brim Detail

Mushroom Hat -- Brim Detail

Last but not least, a close-up on the brim.  Like I said above, this brim is a bit too wide for my tastes, but that’s easily fixable for the next time I make the hat.  I can either take out a round or two of the half-double stitches, or I can switch the entire brim to single crochet, so the brim has the same number of rounds as it does now, but it’ll be a little smaller.

There may be some of you reading this who find the idea of making a hat just to figure out how to fix a hat really annoying.  I like the trial and error process, because frogging can sometimes teach you just as much as following someone else’s directions.  It’s all personal preference, which just reflects the whole point of making things yourself.  You can make what you like, even if it takes a second try.

Advertisements

Hat and Scarf Combo

To start off the new year–and a regular blogging schedule again–I thought I’d start with my favorite bit of accidential awesome from the end of the year.

Accidental Awesome, if you’ve not heard of it, is what happens when you decide to wing something and it comes out fabulous.  I have an A. Awesome cake recipie that I should post sometime.  But for now, you get a hat and scarf:

Red Heart Sensations

Main hat: Moda Dea Dream; Flower: Red Heart Sensations

The hat is made of Moda Dea Dream, and the flowers are made from Red Heart Sensations. I used an I-hook, and I doubled over the yarn on the flowers so that they’d be thicker and warmer.  I placed the flowers over my ears.  The hat ends right about the middle of my ears, and the flowers cover the rest.  I used someone else’s pattern for the flowers, and I’ll credit as soon as I track down the webpage.

Flower Close-Up

Flower Close-Up

A close-up on the flower, because I think it’s adorable.

And now, the scarf:

Moda Dea Dream

Scarf: Red Heart Sensations; Trim: Moda Dea Dream

I reversed my yarns to make the scarf, as I had more Sensastions left over than Dream.  I made the scarf with the following stitch pattern:

1 sc, ch 1, sk next sc, sc in following stitch

I used my trusty I-hook again and made sure that the stitch count on the scarf was an odd number.  Once I had the body of the scarf done, I thought some trim would be nice, so  I painstakingly stitched the Dream up the sides.  I knotted the end of the Dream and left the extra yarn as a tassel:

Oooh, tassels!

Oooh, tassels!

And, looking at this picture, I realize it was berfore I evened out the edges.  I’d take a new picture, but the scarf went into a Christmas gift this year and was well-liked.  And is now in Canada being worn by a grad student.

And to finish things off right, a poll for you:


Hope you're toasty!