I’ve been on a yarn-buying freeze for about a year now. It got to the point where I looked at the yarn I had and could not figure out what to do with it all. I’ve got a basket tucked under my side table that I filled with various weights of yarn, and I’ve been working my way through it over the last few months, hoping to make a dent.
The sweater I made awhile back was part of that stash. My first shrug, the arm warmers for which I wrote a pattern, and the hat and scarf combo were also all from that stash of yarn. Various other projects came from the same collection, but I’ve no pictures of those.
After the sweater, I spent some time cross-stitching and trying to knit again [the knitting was, again, a bit of a failure], and then I decied I was ready to crochet again. Digging through my basket-stash I found a few loose skeins of yarn that weren’t enough for larger projects and decided it was time to fall back on my old standby: purses.
This purse was made with a single skein of Lion Brand Wool in bright red. I used my trusty H-hook and worked from the bottom up. To get the ruffle along the edge of the opening, I crochected three single crochet into every single crochet around and then repeated the same steps on the next round. For the ties, I cut six lengths of yarn all roughly the same size. I seperated them into two groups of three, braided them, tied them off, and then threaded them through the round of double crochet I had placed two rounds below the start of the ruffle.
This purse has already found a new home with a friend of mine who spotted it, complimented it, and immediately got it gifted to her.
When I’d finished with crochet purse #1, I had a bit of the red Lion Brand Wool left over, so I started on another purse. Once I’d run out of the red, I found some sparkly white Lion Brand Wool and just kept moving. And then, once I ran out of the white, I moved to the Lion Brand Suede. I was reminded how much I detest Lion Brand Suede. I don’t think I’ve ever used it wtihout it breaking on me about every two or three rows, and this time was no different. On the upside, the handles on this purse came out fairly well for a first attempt. Usually, if I’m making a purse, I add ties like I did with #1, but for this purse I wanted to try and work the handles in to make the purse a single piece. They’re slightly uneven, but they’re there!
Having disposed of all my Lion Brand yarn, I moved onto the two skeins of Crystal Palace Art Deco yarn I’d bought on discount. Before I made this purse, I made a headkerchief [pictures forthcoming at a later date], and then, with a skein and a half left, I started on the purse. This is a very pretty, sparkly nylon yarn with the single disadvantage of being scratchy. My left index finger–which took the brunt of the scratchiness–was a touch sensitive after I finished this purse. The fact that I made the purse and kercheif in one day didn’t help matters, I’m sure.
For the ruffle on this purse, I made three single crochet in every single crochet around, and then I did a round of single crochet. For the ties, I cut six lengths of yarn roughly the same size and simply tied the ends together. I considered braiding the ties, as in purse #1, but I decided the loose ties would fit better with the whimisical look of the yarn, and I very much like the choice in the finished product.
Interestingly enough, this post was supposed to go out on March 24th. I seem to have hit the “save draft” button as opposed to the “publish” button, and this poor entry has been gathering dust since then. I’ve made a couple of other projects since the original writing of this post, and I’ll post them up as soon as I get the pictures cropped, so keep watch. I’m back for the time being.