Long before I started this blog I made numerous attempts to crochet sweaters. I didn’t use any patterns, as I was convinced there was a better way to put a sleeve on a garment than to have to add it later, and I’ve run through four versions of sweaters in the intervening time.
Sweater 1.0 didn’t even get pictures. I attempted to make a sweater by producing the front and back separately. My gauge got the better of me [as it’s been known to do], and the front ended up being two inches wider than the back.
Sweater 2.0 started out well in the lower bodice but somehow fell to pieces around my chest. I changedyarn, from Lion Brand Wool-Ease to Lion Brand Suede, and I paid for the switch. I think, had I stayed with Wool-Ease, I would have made a sweater that would have been rather cute.
Sweater 3.0 was made of Lily’s Cotton, and while the neckline was interesting to me, the sweater was just a pretty hot mess all around. Lily’s is too heavy to make a good sweater yarn.
Sweater 4.0 was made of the wrong kind of yarn [Caron One Pound, a somewhat stiff acrylic], and I never even finished it. I think it became a series of hats.
Sweater 5.0, the current work-in-production, has gone almost too well. I took the time to consider what all my other attempts did well and did poorly, and I put that knowledge to work. Sweater 5.0 [and 2.0-4.0] has been worked in the round. I started a couple of inches below the widest part of my chest and took my time making my increases. I didn’t start making the front and back separately until I was comfortable that the armholes would not be over-sized. I had to frog my first attempt at a sleeve, but the second attempt is settling in nicely. I’ve got a couple more inches of sleeve now than when I took the picture, and it’s coming in nicely.
I’m trying on frequently, about every four rounds, and so far, so good. I think this’ll be the sweater I actually wear in public. With a bit of luck and elbow grease, this puppy could be all finished up by the end of the weekend.